5/13/14

Healthy Vegan Cookie Dough

So, you like cookie dough right? I know you do....you're human! Who doesn't love cookie dough?! My favorite thing about cookie dough is, obviously, that it's delicious, but also the comforting feeling you have eating it with just a spoon (or off the spatula).

Well, this dessert has saved me. Cookie dough is packed with lots of not-so-hot stuff (for your body, not your taste buds obviously) like sugar, raw eggs, and more sugar! I've seen a few recipes online for healthy cookie dough and finally decided to combine a few of them to try this out. Can you guess the secret ingredient???


Chickpeas!!! 

The fact that this cookie dough is made with chickpeas is awesome for a few reasons. First, chickpeas give this a perfect "doughy" texture when blended. Second, and most importantly, chickpeas are packed with protein! Not only are you treating yourself with this dessert, but it's literally healthy for you. Like, suuuper healthy :) OK with the PB and agave I guess it's not the same thing as a plateful of brussel sprouts but the protein count is pretty great.

Also, side note, I am not vegan but I know many people who are and know that many healthy bloggers and readers are, and I feel like when a recipe can be healthy AND vegan it just appeals to that many more people, so that's why I added it in the title! Vegans don't be scared off by cookie dough any longer!
_______________________________________________________

Healthy Vegan Cookie Dough
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and dried
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons agave
1/3-1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (or any chocolate chips you want to add in!)

Instructions:
Add all ingredients except chocolate chips in blender and mix well. Put "dough" into large bowl and fold in chocolate chips. Serve with apple slices orrrr eat straight with a spoon like I did :)
_________________________________________________________

I love finding ways to hide healthy ingredients in desserts. Hello, black bean brownies anyone?? 
What's your favorite healthy treat?

6 comments:

  1. I would never have guessed chickpeas! I love this since I can't eat raw egg right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I made chocolate covered katie's version for a party and served it with animal crackers and people were so confused how I made cookie dough from chickpeas, but it's SO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh this looks really awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um YUMMMM. I've never made chickpea cookie dough myself but my friend made some for a party once and it was a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tummy doesn't handle chickpeas well but I WISH it did! That looks amammamamazing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay so I tried a chickpea cookie dough once and I was not fooled, I could totally taste the chickpeas, and while I love chickpeas, I don't love them in a sweet recipe ya know? But, this looks yummy so maybe I should give it another try? My tastebuds are super sensitive and are hard to trick!! -- Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete