4/27/14

Matcha Green Tea Mojito

Happy Monday! Let's talk about green tea today, shall we? Grab a cuppa and listen up.

I'm kinda iffy on green tea. Trust me I know how good it is for you! I am just iffy on the taste, I guess. I love tea in general and sometimes green tea just doesn't do it for me. However! That was before the awesome people at Kiss Me Organics send me their matcha to try. This, my friends, is something a little different :)

I am really glad they also sent me some recipes for different ways to use it. I tried a couple but there was one that is my hands down favorite! and I'm sharing the recipe below. First, though, I want to talk a little bit about matcha and address how it's different than regular green tea. I was going to do some summarization but the information they sent me actually  is perfect. So, to get a few things straight:

"There’s already been so much written about the benefits of green tea, from stress relief to weight  loss yet very few people take advantage of warm mug of tea. Maybe it is the perceived bitter taste  of green tea, some have called it ‘yucky’ while others find the mild flavor soothing and delicious, or  maybe it is because of the amount of green tea you’d have to drink to get the full benefits. It could  just be that the popularity of green tea is causing skeptics to wonder if the green tea products they  see in the market are made from actual green tea.  Let’s just state for the record that if you are hoping to reap green tea benefits by scarfing down a store bought green tea Kit Kat, cheesecake or green tea macadamia cookies, don’t be surprised if 
you don’t feel calmer, healthier or slimmer. 

As with all things health and science related, there is something better on the market called 
matcha green tea. Think of this as super green tea, not because it is a super-charged version of  regular green tea but because it allows us green tea lovers to reap the rewards in a wider variety of  ways. 

Matcha…What Is It? 
Matcha is green tea from the Camellia sinensis, but it a very fine powder version of the healthy 
drink. Unlike other teas derived from Camellia sinensis, matcha has not been fermented. Matcha,  like other varieties of green tea, can be harvested from anywhere in the world. But more than simply ground up green tea leaves, matcha is derived from tea leaves grown in the  shade so that the leaves achieve a dark green color, which gives matcha its magnificent amino acids.

Why should you drink Matcha?
The reason matcha is slowly edging out traditional green tea in terms of health benefits is because  those who ingest matcha are consuming the entire leaf rather than brewed water. One glass of  matcha green tea is equal to 10 glasses of regular green tea as far as antioxidants and nutrients.  In fact, a 2003 study published in the Journal of Chromatography A found matcha has 137 times  more of the powerful antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) than other types of green tea.  EGCG has been proven effective in the fight against many forms of cancer, HIV, heart disease and  a host of other illnesses and diseases. 

Fat Burning. You’ll see more and more people skipping coffee or black tea for their afternoon 
pick me up thanks to the study that found matcha green tea has unique thermogenic properties 
that nearly quadruple fat burning. Imagine burning as much as 40% more calories simply by 
adding matcha green tea to your diet! Drink a cup before your daily workout and you’ll increase 
fat burning by 25%. 
Pick Me Up. Another reason many people are forsaking their daily cup of java? It turns out that 
matcha green tea provides a significant energy boost while also providing far less caffeine per cup  than coffee. You can enjoy up to 6 hours of clean energy without jitters, nausea and the dreaded  caffeine crash associated with highly caffeinated beverages. 
Chill Out. You know that regular green tea is advised to those suffering from anxiety or 
insomnia, but did you know that matcha was originally used to help Buddhist monks during 
periods of intense meditation? Matcha contains much more L-Theanine, an amino acid that 
promotes relaxation and well-being within the brain, than other green or black teas "

I decided to start simple. First I tired the matcha latte:

Ingredients
1 tsp. Matcha powder
¾ cup almond milk (or soy or cow or goat milk)
¼ cup boiling water
1 tsp. agave syrup
Instructions
1. Place matcha in the bottom of a coffee mug or other heat-proof cup.
2. Bring almond milk to a simmer in a small pot.
3. Whisk boiling water slowly with the matcha powder in the mug, then pour in almond milk.
Tip the cup to up the foam factor.
4. Sweeten with agave syrup if desired.

I really liked that! I have been having a glass every night. It's so soothing and the taste is delicious. So I looked through the cookbook they sent me and decided to get just a little bit crazier....with a mojito! And this is where my obsession officially begins because oh my god I love mojitos. Seriously. And the addition of the matcha ups the anti, if you know what I mean.






Ingredients:
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp. Matcha
5 fresh mint leaves
Crushed Ice
2 oz. sparkling soda water
1 ½ oz. Rum (optional- mine was non alcoholic)
Instructions:
1. Add matcha, mint leaves, agave, and lime juice to the bottom of a glass and use a muddler 
to mix. Muddle until agave is mixed and you smell the mint. 
2. Add ice to the glass then top with soda and rum.
3. Garnish with additional mint leaves if desired.

This drink was so refreshing and it's even better because I know it's doing great things for my body. I hadn't ever heard of matcha before so I'm really glad Kiss Me Organics reached out to me and sent me some to try, because I'm a believer. Even though this post was compensated by way of me receiving the product for free, the opinions are 100% my own! Also, the cookbook they sent me had a ton of different ways to use the matcha, including in baking! I'm really excited to continue trying new recipes with the green tea powder.

Have you ever tried matcha green tea? Would you consider adding it to your diet?

9 comments:

  1. I love your non-alcoholic, healthy mojito! I've got to try that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm doing a review on this matcha soon too and also am a fan :)

    -- Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been afraid of matcha green tea! But when you put it in that mojito, wow does it ever look good! I am going to have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhh wow, that looks delicious! Mine probably wouldn't turn out as pretty, or as yummy, as yours. Hehe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. the macha green tea mojito sounds delicious! just added this macha to my amazon wish list for payday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We recently started cooking with matcha, but I hadn't even thought to use it in a cocktail! We will definitely have to try that. I have loved the cakes, lattes, and other edibles I have made with green tea powder, but a cocktail would be great! Thanks for the idea and recipe! http://groundgreentea.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matcha is very pretty helpful when it comes to lose weight but the challenge is the awful taste but your suggestion of brewing it is helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Matcha Green Tea Mojito but I never knew different methods of making it. I will try all of these methods that you have shared here. Dear do you know that Green supplements are useful to lose weight? I want to lose my weight in healthy manner so please give me advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've wanted to try Matcha Green Tea for ages and this post has made me want to go and try it out because I love normal Green Tea and drink about 3 cups a day! Great post nice pictures too.
    Please Visit

    ReplyDelete