4/6/14

Healthy Cookie Dough Shake

Hiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!! 
I know I know it's been a week but life gets in the way sometimes :)

I told you here what is going on right now, but I left out a little detail that's made things even tougher, because I wasn't sure Steven had told his family and friends yet. So in the midst of us ending our 5 year relationship, me trying and failing at finding jobs in San Diego which is where I really want to be, and trying to find a job in Chicago possibly and moving.... somewhere, Steven got a job in OC California in about a 3 day period and starts in a week.

While I'm obviously jealous since, you know, he got a job where I want to live in about 30 seconds, I'm so excited for him. It's a huge step for his career. However, we thought we had about 2 months left to wrap things up with each other and enjoy being together, and that's been cut super short :( It's just one more stress on the pile. So now we are trying to figure out where he is going to live, and started going through our things in the house today and separating them, starting with the DVDs. That kind of made things super real and I'm not loving it.

Anyway. I'm also pretty stressed about what I'm going to do myself. Finding a job is tough stuff, especially in education!  Thank you so much for your support and for all the prayers and good vibes you've been sending me. I know something will work out eventually, I just really have absolutely no idea what it's going to be!

In the midst of all this, I found this recipe and am just obsessed, so I wanted to share! Christal (the blogger who made the recipe) did a much better job making it and taking pictures of it, but I still managed to make a delicious shake that I will be eating alllll week long!



Ingredients
  • For The Cookie Dough:
  • 30g raw cashews
  • ⅓ cup rolled oats
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein isolate (or a vegan protein powder)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • ⅓ cup pitted dates (soak in hot water for easier blending)
  • 30g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa or higher)
  • For the ‘Ice Cream’:
  • 2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
  • 6 ice cubes
  • ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

Instructions
  1. Peel bananas and cut into quarters and freeze. (I always have frozen banana chunks in my freezer for smoothies, or ‘ice cream’)
  2. In a food processor combine cashews, oats, and protein powder. Pulse until almost a flour consistency is achieved.
  3. Add in the maple syrup and almond milk and pulse a few more times.
  4. Add in the dates and process until all is well combined and the batter resembles thick sticky paste.
  5. On a cutting board, cut chocolate into small chunks with a knife.
  6. Transfer to a bowl and fold in chocolate chunks.
  7. With wet hands (very important your hands are wet as this will prevent the cookie dough from sticking, and will roll easier), roll cookie dough into small round balls. Place on a plate or cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
  8. Batter makes 20 balls.
  9. Freeze cookie dough balls for at least 3 hours.
  10. Once banana chunks are frozen you can make the ‘ice cream’.
  11. In a food processor or blender combine banana, almond milk, ice cubes, and peanut butter. Blend until smooth.
  12. Transfer to a tupperware and freeze for 2 hours or until firm. (if you leave for longer, and the ice cream is too hard to scoop, just let it thaw on the counter for a bit)
  13. Once your ‘ice cream’ is thick and scoopable, divide between 2 glasses.
  14. Add in a couple cookie dough balls to each glass, and enjoy!

So I'm super jealous of how hers came out! Mine didn't come out as "blizzard-like", and turned out more like a vanilla smoothie with the cookie dough balls inside :) I actually couldn't even eat mine like I wanted; I put the balls in and they sunk to the bottom! No worries though! I got a spoon and nibbled on the cookie dough bites while I drank the smoothie and you know what? It tasted just delicious! 

So I have been doing more than just sitting around filling out job applications all over the US and stressing out. I am so excited that Kim's and my #springfeveryogis challenge started! It is forcing me to slow down for a little bit every single day and focus on my practice. Here are some pictures below, and a picture of my scorpion progress at this point! I'm very proud of how far I've come in that particular inversion. Also a picture of my very first hollowback! It might not be fantastic but I'm excited that I finally got over my fear of pushing my head through my arms and attempting a hollowback.







Do you ever just feel like you were born to do something? I've always felt that way about teaching, and now I'm feeling that about yoga. I don't know where I'm going to end up this year, but I have decided that this year I am going to get my yoga teaching certification. Combining my two passions sounds glorious. I have no idea if I'll actually teach, maybe a couple nights a week, maybe make it into a career someday? I don't know. I do know that this is the year I am doing things for me. I am going to live where I want to live, my OWN decision, I'm going to take a job I like, I'm going to do things for me. So once things slow down this year, the ultimate indulgence will be committing my free time to becoming a yoga instructor. So....that's that :)


Also, a little snack at school to push me through the day!

It's going to be a busy week. More interviews, applications, packing up Steven, and it's AIMS week at school! I know that focusing on controlling my eating and exercise will help keep me grounded through everything :) I'm excited to get caught back up on your guys' posts too...I got a little behind last week!

If you could live anywhere in the US, where would it be?

5 comments:

  1. First of all, anyone going through what you are going through would be feeling the EXACT same way. I'm not saying that it's a good feeling but I do think that it's normal. Just keep applying and wherever you land that job is where you are meant to be! Sounds simpler than it is I know but I do believe that. I also love your classroom yoga pics :) Nothing like a little yoga break in the day to slow things down! Thinking of you love xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw lady that is tough but I promise things will work out as they should. They always do! I think you should 100% move forward with getting your yoga teacher training. It's basically combining your two passions so only amazing things will come of it! Plus I can't wait to be able to watch you go from your first yoga class to becoming a yoga teacher. Crazy in the best way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you're going through that. Honestly, you're handling it so well (much better than I would!!!!). You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep on chugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I'm so so so very sorry about all the tough stuff that has been going on in your persona life. I think you have the most amazing positive outlook on life and you should never change that. Also, I am so excited that you decided to do a yoga teacher training. I totally think you would be perfect at it! So amazing!

    If I could live anywhere in the US, I would probably want to live in Southern California or Maui. If I could live anywhere in the world, I would go back to Sydney because the two years I lived there were so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing about your decision to get a yoga certification sometime soon!!

    I'm sorry everything is so crazy right now for you. Break ups are freaking tough. Like you said though, things WILL work out in the end. I haven't talked about it on the blog yet, but I can't resist saying that if you are able to move to San Diego, you just may have a fellow blogger neighbor :) :) I'll be announcing something when it's finalized (hopefully very soon!) so stay tuned...

    --Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete