4/21/14

DIY At Home Yoga Retreat

Hi guys! First, thank you so much for your positive feedback on my post from Friday. There's just a lot going on in my life right now and knowing that I can get so much support here is very reassuring. 

So with my last few days of Spring Break, I decided to take one day to completely treat myself and just relax. I spent a couple of days planning something I've wanted to do for awhile, and so my SB just happened to be it! All of my posts this week are going to center around this:


A DIY yoga retreat at home!
 A friend sent me a link about something like this awhile ago and I really liked the whole concept, especially since I can't take a real retreat now, or anytime soon! I wanted to take a whole day to just give back to myself. To disconnected and enjoy just being here, in my house, alone, and loving myself. Losing myself in my practice and really finding some balance and peace through the chaos. Living in Tucson, and being lucky enough to have a house with a pool, I felt I had just the right setting. So I planned a DIY at home yoga retreat. And guess what? You can do one too!

Here are my top 3 tips to putting together an at-home retreat. Further down I'll share what my schedule looked like and some pictures of my day, and then throughout the week I'll be sharing separate posts about specific parts of the day :)
_____________________________________

1. Disconnect
Choose a day where you don't need to do any errands, and can disconnect from different types of technology, including TV and phones, if possible! The point of a retreat, for most, is do get away from the hectic-ness of daily life and things that cause stress. Breaking away from technology can be a huge stress reliever! Make sure ahead of time that you won't need to go grocery shopping, or running any errands, and have a day to yourself to relax.

2. Plan ahead
Again, the point here is that you don't have to do any "work". I prepped my meals the night before, and got all of the ingredients for the facial and hair mask that I made myself out the night before as well. The fruit and protein for my smoothie was made and put into tupperware ahead of time, and I had my Yogaglo classes already picked out so that I wouldn't be wasting time on anything that I didn't want to waste time on. Plan your meals around clean, healthy, whole foods- like you would get at a get-away retreat! Think juices, salads, smoothies; lots of fruit and veggies.

3. Have a "schedule"
This kind of goes along with number two. If you know you aren't going to be using the TV, computer, phone, or running any errands, you kind of want to have other activities lined up and ready to go so that you don't finish your first yoga session and then just sit on the couch in confusion. What relaxing activities can you do instead of relying on business and technology? Do you like to read? Write? Listen to music? Nap? Lay out by the pool? Take a bubble bath? There are tons of things that we can do to unwind, but it might be a good idea to have those things in mind beforehand so that your day just sort of flows along calmly and you don't end up bored.
_____________________________________

Here was what I did with my day! The point of my retreat was to dedicate a whole day to myself. I wanted to pamper myself, focus on things that bring me joy, and really spend some time reflecting deep within through my yoga practice. This retreat was a refresher to get me through the next week :)

8:00 AM: Breakfast- Greek Yogurt with fruit and chia seeds; water with lemon/mint/blackberries

1 hr Yogaglo session in the living room. Windows open, doors open, and air conditioning off!

10:00 AM: Walk Rodney around the block. No music or headphones.

10:20 AM: Morning snack- egg whites and bell peppers with salsa on a whole wheat tortilla

10:30 AM: Nap on the couch :)

Noon: Lunch! Salad with grilled chicken, blueberries, and a honey mustard vinaigrette.

 12:30-2 ish: Laying out by the pool, reading, and stretching

2:30-4:30 ish: Spa time. Paint nails, use DIY facial mask, hair treatment, and sugar scrub. Bubble bath with LUSH bathbombs

4:30: Smoothie snack

4:45-6:00: More reading and lounging outside. Watered the plans. Skimmed the pool and dozed in a lounge chair. 

6:00 PM: Dinner- Quinoa, sweet potato, and kale superfood dish and grilled chicken

6:30-7:00 PM- Meditate/Restorative yoga

7:00- Second walk with Rodney

And that's where my day ended! I spent the end of the night watching Dexter on Netflix and looking over stuff for school (I go back today wahhh) so that I would be semi-prepared. My DIY yoga retreat was wooooonderful. Even though everything I did was in the comfort of my own home, it felt so nice to turn off the TV (for almost the whole day lol) and phone for awhile and just focus on relaxing and loving myself, especially with the bubble bath and facials etc. It was a wonderful day to pull away from everything else and concentrate on myself. I also loved being able to do yoga twice in one day! I had a hard morning session and then rounded everything out at night with restorative (read-strettttttching!) yoga and meditation, which was greatly needed. It recharged my batteries and I'm going into this new week refreshed and renewed, ready to finish out the school year strong and handle everything that is going on. 

I did have my phone by me to take some pictures throughout the day:











I really loved doing this at home. Even though it would be nice, obviously, to have a couple thousand dollars to drop on a high-class yoga retreat, setting aside me-time was special to me and much needed! If you have a little more money, maybe going to a studio class would be great for this! Also, getting a mani-pedi or massage would be perfect for this type of at-home retreat.

Would you consider doing a DIY yoga retreat at your house?

14 comments:

  1. I really love this idea! It's also a great for a few friends or close yoga students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm going to plan Home Yoga Retreat now. First, what day. Fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh how lovely! I would totally do this!! I wish I had a beautiful setting like a warm place in Tuscon with a pool but I could still make this work. When I lived in Sydney, I would get days off from work sometimes and I would go to yoga and get a facial and then grocery shop (because that relaxed me!). So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I love this! Such a cute idea--much needed relaxation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An at home yoga retreat sounds so nice and relaxing! If only my home was just me. Plus what an awesome way to save loads of money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! Every once in a while you really need a day to focus on yourself and do things that make you happy. I am definitely keeping this day in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this idea! great way to have a relaxing "me" day without having to drop a ton of money :) i will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say, you've turned me into a Yogaglo fanatic! The idea of chilling out for a day to do more of it and otherwise relax is rather appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this so much Paige! I'm all for taking a day to just relax and date yourself, especially when going through a stressful time like you have. I need to try some of these DIY spa treatments you made!! -- Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are actually a genius!!! I'm so impressed you did this. I could SO use this! You should do in-home yoga retreats for people. I'm totally serious btw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite interesting and useful article. Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.aparyoga.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. for more retreat options you can visit http://orionhealing.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite interesting and useful article. Thanks for sharing.

    http://www.arpityoga.com

    ReplyDelete