3/18/14

Yoga Pose of the Week: Planks!

Happy Tuesday! I hope this morning is finding you happy, healthy, and relatively stress free ;)

Over the weekend I was catching up on Gina's blog, The Fitnessista, (one of my favorites!), and was reading about the event in NYC she attended this weekend where she got to meet Miranda Kerr! After getting over my jealousy and drooling in excess at the pictures, I read what she wrote. She said she asked Miranda Kerr for a fitness tip and she said to set a timer for 10 minutes and do as many plank variations as you want to get in some hardcore core workouts.

I loved that idea! I really do like planks.....I mean, officially I hate them, but they are such a fantastic and killer move to do. 

Planks aren't just for your core, although they will definitely leave you shaking in that area. They target all different muscle groups, especially when you switch them up!

For my yoga pose of the week, I decided to go with plank variations. See if you can complete the "Miranda" and go 10 minutes, switching variations. I did it last night and it was TOUGH....my core was definitely shaky, but switching it up ever 30-45 seconds helped a lot. Also, for full disclosure, I didn't hold #3/7/8 for a particularly long time, but they were fun to add in there and definitely bring a whole new meaning to balance.

Finally, the great thing about planks is these definitely aren't just for yoga! Planks are used in all types of workouts because they are just that good.


(I know my back is rounded in #1; didn't realize until after it was dark outside :( )

What is your favorite plank variation? Do you love or hate planks?

8 comments:

  1. Hhaha I officially love/hate planks too. They really are the best ab workout but man are they killer. You do plank #8 very well--I have a tough time balancing in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with planks. They are so good for you but they hurt so much. I prefer doing them on my forearms because they hurt my wrists a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love-hate relationship planks but I really love the "miranda" idea! Definitely pinning this to do later on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love #8 - well you know love/hate it all means the same with planks...right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love planks but hate them on the elbows - I find those so much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda Kerr is totally my girl crush!

    I can see why it would be a challenge...10 minutes is a long time to do planks!

    - Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not very good at planks but I actually really enjoy them! Purely Twins plank workouts are my fav ab exercises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE PLANKS!!! I cannot do you crazy plank variations, but the original is good enough for me and my abs! ;)

    ReplyDelete