3/3/14

Whole Wheat Artisan Bread

Happy Tuesday! Thank you for all of your kind words yesterday. 

To cope with my stress, I have been cooking more lately. I actually went ahead and tried to make artisan bread! I will be the first to admit the loaf didn't turn out looking perfectly, but it tasted so so delicious. I am wanting to play with the recipe a little, but I think for my first time it turned out pretty nicely :)

And here I will stop talking (for once in my life) and let you just look at the pictures. I do realize the loaf doesn't look beautiful, but just imagine all of the frustration I took out on the dough while kneading, and imagine the warm, wonderful smell it filled my house with as I pulled apart the crusty exterior to release steam from the center of the loaf....I'm pretty pleased.
















Whole Wheat Artisan Bread

5 1/2 White Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tbsp. Instant Yeast (or 1 packet active dry yeast)
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Sugar 
2 Cups (16 oz) Water
Instructions
  • Mix all ingredients together by hand or with a heavy duty stand mixer. If you are using active dry yeast you will need to proof it first with 1/4 cup of the water and 1 tsp. of the sugar. Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes. If the dough seems too dry or wet, adjust now with a bit more flour or water. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes by mixer.
  • Cover and allow to rise approximately 1 hour, dough should double in size.
  • Punch down the dough, and shape into a circle or oblong loaf.
  • Cover and allow to rise again, approximately 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400°.
  • Bake for 30 minutes until nicely golden brown, or an internal temperature of 200°.

**original recipe here

I think for next time I will try to find something else to let the dough second rise in..as you can see it lost it's globe shape and fell a little flat. Practice makes perfect!


What's your favorite kind of bread? Have you made freeform homemade before? Any tips for me?

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I love fresh hot bread. It's the best! I really find baking and cooking to be therapeutic to me as well. Immersing myself in a recipe definitely is a big form of stress relief to me. - Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely. I thought about making some homemade bread the other day...now I gotta do it! :)

    For real: I moved 1300 miles, and the only thing I seemed to have lost is my BREAD MACHINE. Words like "how?!" and "WHY?!" come to mind, and I just can't know. :\

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made homemade bread for the first time last month and it was not as difficult as I had originally thought. It took awhile but a lot of it was hands off time. I think your bread looks great! Totally agree that it lets the aggression out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty gorgeous to me!!! I make homemade challah with my Mom. I'm a champ braider but I don't do it nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete