3/23/14

Healthy Blueberry Muffins + Changes Ahead


I'm about to hit you with a lot of pictures, information, and talking so I hope you're ready:)

I have definitely taken a backseat from blogging the last few weeks. I've been pretty open about the fact that I'm going through a bit of a rough time right now. Five years ago I started dating my boyfriend, and 3 years ago I moved from Illinois to Tucson, AZ to be with him and moved in with him. About two months ago we decided that it would be best for both of us to split up. I'm now in the process of figuring out what I'm going to do with my life! I love Tucson but it's drenched in memories and I don't think it would be good for me to stay here. Ideally, in a perfect world, I could finally get a teaching job in San Diego and live in California for a year or two. Seriously, that's my dream. However, finding teaching jobs in California is pretty much the toughest thing in the world to do, and you have to be certified in CA which is a huge pain in the ass. So, I'm looking in CA but I have really focused my search on Chicago. Chicago is only 3 hours from my immediate family, and, hello, it's Chicago. I'm obsessed with the city itself and would have looked into moving there after college if it wasn't for the terrible weather. I'm pretty terrified of moving back to the cold but Chicago is such an amazing place I think I'll re-adjust pretty quickly. I also think being closer to my family would be a good move, especially right now. (However, my dream is still to be in CA so if anyone knows of any teaching jobs there please let me know!! :) 

Anyway. So that's sort of what's going on right now. I have been spending every single extra minute I have filling out applications and laying around being terrified of moving, living by myself for the first time ever, being single again, leaving the beautiful west coast, figuring out how to live with Rodney in an apartment in the cold weather, saying good-bye to my friends and life here, making the wrong move career and geography wise, upsetting friends and family members with all of these big decisions, and just general anxiousness, and therefore haven't blogged, worked out, or cooked almost at all. As I start to see some opportunities and put my thoughts and fears in order, I'm remembering how wonderful blogging, working out, and cooking really make me feel. These are things I can control. The fears I have are things I don't have as much control over. Therefore, this week I am committed to getting back into the swing of things. I gave myself time to freak out but now it's time to start putting pieces back together. I have a lot more to say on these subjects but I think for now I will leave it at that!

Therefore, today I share a muffin recipe! I baked these on Thursday and it did something to me. This is the first time I have really made anything that required more than pushing microwave buttons and it stirred up something in me. I miss cooking and making interesting recipes, even if they mostly are just other  bloggers' stuff :)

Have you seen this graphic on Pinterest? I pinned it about a year ago and have made the magic muffin mix numerous times. It's seriously the best muffin mix I have had! I love muffins for a morning snack. They're delicious, quick and can certainly be healthy! Friday I made the blueberry muffins and man are they good. I added a few things but mostly stuck to this recipe:


I added a little flaxseed and chia seeds for some extra nutrients :) They turned out pretty great! I won't claim to take credit for the recipe but I do want to share because they are so good and easy to make.





Another thing that is helping keep me grounded lately is the #sweathappywithyoga challenge! We are soaring through the days. I will be honest by telling you that I have not worked out much at all in the last two months, but I have tried to get in yoga here and there whenever I can, as it makes me feel so much better. In fact as I write this I am preparing to do a 30 minute session on Yogaglo (god bless this website!). The Instagram yoga challenge has forced me to take at the very least 5 minutes a day to sit, stretch, and get in a pose or two. Committing to even this helps clear my head, and also checking everyone's posts on Instagram is the BEST. Seeing so many people making yoga a daily practice seriously makes my heart sing and I don't care how lame that sounds!! I am a teacher. I like making a difference and helping people. The fact that people are following me, my yoga advice (along with my beautiful co-hosts Kim and Erin), and are seeing progress gives me the best internal boost ever. I love it. 








And on that note, I am SO SO pumped to share that Kim and I will be co-hosting an April challenge! If you missed out on March that's OK....you can jump in with #springfeveryogis this next month :) I can't wait for this to expand and grow and for my yoga community to grow as well. The women joining our challenge are so inspiring and I love the sense of family that I get every time I log on to check their pictures!


So I've got a lot going on but today is the day that I take a step back from my anxiousness and really focus on taking care of myself, because it's so important. Thank you all for reading my blog and being there. Being able to write on here and be open and honest helps me more than I can say. It doesn't even matter if 2 people are reading, just putting my words down and being able to read them is cathartic for my heart. I'm sure I'll be sharing more as I start to make my plans. I have no idea what I'm doing or what my life is going to be like in a couple months, but I will tell you this. I am strong and honestly, I love myself. Loving myself means that I am going to do what I want to do, for me and me only. This upsets me because I have a feeling no matter where I decide to go, someone is going to be upset, whether it's my family or my friends. But I love myself, and I refuse to make a decision that I think I might regret. I will make decisions based on what I want, not what everyone else wants. The decisions I'm making are all going to make me a better person AND I can't wait for all of the new opportunities that I am going to be able to experience. Good things are coming, even if they are wrapped in kind of a crappy break-up package. I wasn't sure how much of this journey I wanted to share, but I think being honest is important, especially since all of the things happening have affected my life so much, and that is going to come through in my blog. 



Thanks for letting me share my life with you :)


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh so many things I want to say. Ok first of all, you know I'm here to chat if you need someone to talk to about the move. I definitely think you'll adjust to Chicago quickly and I agree that being close to your family is a good option :) ....though San Diego does sound marvelous. Second of all, I've loved doing the yoga challenge and I agree with what you said--on days that I don't go to the gym it has forced me to fit in at least 5 minutes of yoga, and I love that. I alsooooo love yours and Kim's new challenge! You better believe I'll be following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that I can *FEEL* you get stronger with every word that you have typed?! I'm so very sorry that your relationship has come to its ending stages, but there is always room for growth in other levels of that friendship. It takes someone tough, fierce, and free to be able to do what you've done. Now you can really show off your wings and do something new with them. :)

    You know you always have a friend/cheerleader here in the Chi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry you are going through such a rough time! I think you have put such a positive spin on it and are doing a great job of looking at the bright side! Moving, changing jobs is going to be difficult but exciting and rewarding in the end. I wish you the absolute very best and hope that only good things come your way in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw hun I'm so sorry!!! Always here if you need to talk things through. I've made bold moves like that before that didn't necessarily go as planned but also ones that have paid off tenfold. Such is life. You have to take big risks to reap big rewards even if you are faced with many obstacles along the way.

    Even though I'm not ad advocate for being too rigid in life, I do find that when things get crazy having a routine always helps. So try to get your bake on more often. You always bring delicious treats to the table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you are going through a tough time but I love that you are taking care of yourself and doing what is best for you! Focusing on yourself is the best thing to do in situations like this and I know you will come out stronger :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just read this (sorry just catching up). First I'm in the job hunt with you right now, we can do this! And also, I know this sounds cheesy but just remember that everything happens for a reason. There is an ultimate plan for you! I"m just an email away.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that you are going through this, Paige! It might be weird but you can always email me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lot is weighing on your brain lately... sending you lots of positive vibes!! Just remember to breathe and focus on the things that center you that you talked about in this post. Everything will work out in the end! -- Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete