3/26/14

Cauliflower Crust Margherita Pizza

Hey guys! First, thank you so much  for your words on Monday. I'll make it through but I'm overwhelmed and it's nice to know that I have so many supportive people in my life.

One thing keeping me strong is my dedication to work out and cook this week! I have a few new recipes and workouts to make graphics for and put together. This one I just couldn't wait to do!

Have you made a cauliflower crust before? I must say I was extremely skeptical when I first saw this concept about a year ago, but it really is delicious! I am not a huge pizza fan. It's way too thick and heavy for my taste. I tend to stick to lighter fare, such as salads and lean grilled meats. Pizza makes me feel terrible. However, I'm certainly not opposed to the delicious taste of herbs, cheese and tomato. Therefore, the cauliflower crust is a good middle ground I think! 

It won't taste like gooey pizza dough, but cauliflower makes for a great crust all the same. If you spread it thin enough it will be like a thin crust pizza. I will say with this recipe that I doubled, I left the crust a little thick in the middle and it didn't quite get cooked through. I'm fine with that and it still held up like a normal pizza slice! Just wanted to give you a fair warning though: make sure you spread the whole crust to an even thinness! There are many, many cauliflower crust recipes but I stick to this simple one below the pictures.









Cauliflower Crust Margherita Pizza

  • 1 small head or 2/3 large head of cauliflower
  • ¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
  • ¼ teaspoons Sea Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
  • ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
  • ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
  • 1 Egg
  1. Wash and thoroughly dry the cauliflower.
  2. Cut off the florets.  You don’t need the stem.
  3. Pulse in the food processor until you get cauliflower “snow”.  You should end up with 2 to 3 cups.
  4. Cover the cauliflower and microwave for about 4 or 5 minutes.
  5. Dump the cauliflower out onto a paper towel and clean tea towel and let it cool off.
  6. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.  
  7. Wrap up the cauliflower in the dish cloth and paper towel and wring out as much excess water as you can.
  8. Combine the Parmesan cheese, sea salt, dried basil, dried oregano,  garlic powder, and cauliflower in a medium bowl.
  9. Mix it together with a spoon to combine the ingredients. Then add the egg and use your hands to form it into a dough ball.
  10. Pat it down gently onto a piece of parchment paper with oil spread (or sprayed) onto it.
  11. Use your hands to form it into a pizza crust, about 1/4″ thick.
  12. Slide the parchment paper onto the heated up cookie sheet and bake the crust without any toppings for about 8 to 11 minutes until it is golden brown.
  13. Remove from the oven and add your toppings.  For a Margherita pizza, I added organic marinara sauce, tomato slices, mozzarella slices, and fresh basil leaves.
  14. Bake it for another 5 to 7 minutes with your toppings on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                     **original recipe here- I altered slightly and doubled the recipe for a bigger pizza.
I really think it turned out fantastic! Plus, there are a million different topping combos you could go with. I personally am a HUGE fan of a simple margherita pizza and was so excited to pick up the basil plant from Trader Joe's and grow the leaves in my house (sort of) :). 

Here are some general shennanigans around our house this week!






Would you ever try a cauliflower crust? What is your favorite kind of pizza?


8 comments:

  1. I have made cauliflower pizza crust before, and it was fantastic! I would make it for Harry, but the kid is Italian...hmmm...he could probably be fooled. ;)

    I LOL'd at the picture of you in the crate! I can't think of how many times a thought like "I wonder if I could fit in that" came to mind, and then was executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's good but I don't know if it's THAT good :) yeah Steven dared me and you can't just say no to a dare like that!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh I have never made cauliflower crust but I've wanted to--it looks so easy! I could totally trick Miguel with this haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy just a little messy with the cauliflower "rice"!

      Delete
  3. Yum! I've never made cauliflower crust pizza but this definitely makes me want too! I will definitely be making this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely give cauliflower crust a try! Your recipe makes it seem pretty easy! I love pizza but I prefer homemade to store bought. I am not picky: cheese, margherita, veggie, buffalo chicken! Haha, I love 'em all!

    ReplyDelete