2/10/14

What To Do When You're In A Workout Rut

As a healthy living and fitness blogger, I'm a teeeensy bit frustrated to admit this but, I'm in a rut.

With my workouts.

I know it happens to everyone and I'm surrounded by so many positive, healthy women in life and especially here in my little blogger circle world, but I'm frustrated! Let me explain:

We all go through phases working out, sure. Right now I'm in a yoga phase. Big time. Have been for awhile. Last fall I was pairing yoga with HIIT and things were good. Now I look so forward to yoga any other workout seems not as fun. Kim did a guest post recently on how to stick to your workout routine, and all of her tips were fantastic! Her tip about doing a workout that is fun for you hit close to home for me though. I feel like I've gotten so into yoga I don't do hardly any other workouts. This is fine, nothing wrong with that, but I like my body when I'm lifting weights and doing full body moves. I also like the heart-pumping sweat I get when I do HIIT and lifting. So, I'm getting serious about mixing up my workouts. This Saturday and Sunday both I did about 30 minutes of full body workouts and today will be for yoga. I love yoga so so much but I honestly feel better when I'm mixing workouts and not just doing one thing all the time, so I'm trying to motivate myself! 

So, what do you do when you're in a workout rut?



1. Try something new


Pick a class or routine you've never done and switch it up!! I am thinking about taking a spin class this week or possibly even Zumba, both of which I have done once or twice apiece. I need to find a new way to sweat and to get my body moving!!

2. New workout clothes, anyone?


Workout clothes are the BEST motivation, always and forever hands down period. Some of my favorite brands are Under Armour, Ellie, and Zella. New workout clothes make me excited to get my butt up and get moving!

3. Seek inspiration

Workout motivation #workout #motivation <3 Visit www.thatdiary.com for tips + advice on health & fitness

Usually, I check Pinterest. TONS of motivating quotes, tips, and workouts there! However, more recently I have been checking some of my favorite blogs for new workouts or even just to see someone else working out and eating healthy...it makes me want to try my hardest. Some of my favorite blogs for workout inspiration are The Fitnessista (always something new and exciting; Gina also lives in Tucson), My Own Balance (Brittany always has freaking crazy awesome reviews of classes I've never heard of but need to try), Busy Bod (Yoga inspiration and also has convinced me I must try TRX ASAP). I follow a million and one amazing women though, these are just a few I check every day for workout inspiration!

4.  Remember why you started, and how far you've come


My fitness journey has been all over the place, but overall, I am the happiest I've ever been, and most of it has to do with my healthy lifestyle. I am happy with my body, my health, and my mental state of being, which I attribute to working out and eating right! Among a few other things but those are the top ones. When I feel lazy or unmotivated, I remember how I felt before I made this my lifestyle and realize that I want to stay feeling great, so that helps me get up and get going!

5. Just get up and workout anyway!


(couldn't get off the floor after my leg workout yesterday...success!)

This is what I did this weekend to get going and honestly, it just works. I made myself do it and I felt a THOUSAND times better. All of these tips help me when I need to motivate myself to work out, but this one seems to be my go-to :) 

What do you do when you're in a workout rut? How do you get motivated??

18 comments:

  1. Ahhh no hard feelings I think everyone goes through ruts. I wouldn't say I'm in a "rut" but I haven't been going as frequently because of the weather, so I've been trying to do home workouts as much as I can. It's better than nothing! I also get in huge yoga moods and think that it's great! However, you are right that I think it's good for your body to do both HIIT and yoga. Keep on reading the motivation and know you're not the only one in a rut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I know it's just so frustrating! And yes I can imagine the weather would have a huge affect on motivation....sending warm rays your way!

      Delete
  2. Oh my GOOSES, did you and I just go through this together?! I think after a week of rest that I'm back on, but good luck and thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no! Well I'm glad you're back on track!

      Delete
  3. Whenever I get workout clothes, I do get re-energized lol funny how that happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's crazy how motivating it is but it's the best.

      Delete
  4. I'm totally in a workout rut, but that's cause I've finally found a circuit that doesn't irritate my back! So I basically do the same circuit a few days a week. It's super boring but fun music always helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not such a bad rut then if it works :) Music definitely helps, I agree

      Delete
  5. New shoes always work for me. I still feel like a kid and think they will make me run faster and jump higher - motivation to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out Paige! As you know, I am obsessed with different workouts. I have workout ADD! But I do find that mixing it up a bit keeps me excited and I like that. I find when I force myself to do something I end up being in a rut so I try to schedule in something that I look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome of course! You always mix it up and I love that!

      Delete
  7. Workout ruts happen to all of us! I actually just did a post last week about how I motivate myself to exercise when I'm just not feeling it on a particular day. I definitely have weeks where I'm not in a rut per se, but I'm just not feeling like going to the gym. Instead of forcing myself to go, I embrace it and do other workouts that I DO feel like doing - hiking, mountain biking, yoga, at-home workouts. I find that after a week of that, I'm ready and excited to go back to strength training and gym workouts. I also love switching it up a lot to keep things interesting! - Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw that! sometimes it's hard to muster up the desire to do anything but I always feel better. Doing something you like that might not be as intense is always a good way to go if you're not feeling it, you're right!

      Delete
  8. I have to keep doing new workouts all the time. If I don't constantly switch it up, then I get bored and start losing motivation. It all goes down hill from there. I've been stepping outside of my workout comfort zone lately and it's been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your concept very much. I will come and visit your site often.
    Compliance Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    Heat Exchanger

    ReplyDelete