1/6/14

Ginger Pear Shooters

With the new year comes new intentions, especially when it comes to health, for many people. I've been on the healthy eating track for a while now, but I'm ready to start this year off by getting back into the habit of juicing!

I have always been a fan of juicing, but it comes and goes in spurts. Not my love for juicing, by the actual act of doing it. I have this Breville and it is AWESOME. It's super quick and in the scheme of things relatively easy to clean, but actually cleaning it is kind of a pain (I'm so lazy, guys. SO lazy!) Anyway, that's why my actual juicing comes and goes, but my love stays strong.

Juicing has a ton of health benefits, and recently I've been reading a lot about ginger and how good it is for you. I don't really like ginger that much. It's too strong and spicy for me, but it is so good for you body and immune system so I wanted to try to incorporate it into my diet more. Juicing is the perfect way to do this! By juicing ginger, you are getting all of the essential nutrients and benefits, and by putting it in little shooters like I did it's done quickly and efficiently. 

Why should you be adding ginger to your diet? Here are 10 benefits of ginger (I did not write these up! Link is below): 

10 Terrific Benefits of Ginger



1. Haven’t been feeling hungry? Eat fresh ginger just before lunch to stoke a dull appetite and fire up the digestive juices.

2. Ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body.

3. Ginger clears the ‘microcirculatory channels’ of the body, including the pesky sinuses that tend to flare up from time to time.

4. Feeling airsick or nauseous? Chew on ginger, preferably tossed in a little honey.

5. Can’t stop the toot-a-thon? Gas—oops—guess what?! Ginger helps reduce flatulence!

6. Tummy moaning and groaning under cramps? Munch on ginger.

7. Reeling under joint pain? Ginger, with its anti-inflammatory properties—can bring relief. Float some ginger essential oil into your bath to help aching muscles and joints.

8. Just had surgery? Chewing ginger post-operation can help overcome nausea.

9. Stir up some ginger tea to get rid of throat and nose congestion. And when there’s a nip in the air, the warming benefits of this tasty tea are even greater!

10. Bedroom blues? Try adding a gingery punch to a bowl of soup. (Pss...the Ayurvedic texts credit ginger with aphrodisiac properties)**


As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to start adding ginger to your diet. While I don't mind a little in some dishes, ginger isn't a spice I like to use regularly. Therefore, I figured juicing it would get all the good stuff and in shooters I could consume quickly and move on! :)

Enter: Ginger-Pear Shooters




Ginger-Pear Shooters
Pears
Ginger Root
Cinnamon (optional)
Tangerine Juice (optional)

I used 3 pears and one little branch of ginger root, about the size that would fit in my palm. After I juiced the pears and ginger, I added a shake of cinnamon and about one cup total of tangerine juice to add a little kick. I ended up with two mason jars' worth!


I took two shooters yesterday morning and this morning! It really is a great energy booster first thing in the morning.
_________________________________________________________________________


I had a little hollowback practice yesterday...and by practice I mean the third time I've ever tried to hollowback. I feel pretty good about my handstands, forearm stands are a work in progress, but hollowbacks actually scare me. It's kind of terrifying pushing your head through like that. It's not the backbend, necessarily, but the actual change of perspective. 


Ugh last night's hair....this is becoming an issue! I am Medusa's twin :)

Are you all staying warm in the scary cold front moving through the US? Any tips for hollowbacking??


19 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I'm a relatively new ginger eater as well! My fav ginger juice combo is with apples & carrots. And I totally agree with you -- cleaning the juicer is SUCH a pain in the butt! The other day I looked closer at mine than usual and saw that in some hard to reach spots it has stains of juice residue that have probably been accumulating for awhile. Oops!
    -- Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo apples and carrots sounds fantastic! Yeah mine is like that too! I know it's easy clean up but it's still so annoying!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH--- LOVE the hair! i'm so glad I'm not the only girl who has the hair crazies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha mine gets RIDICULOUS! It's our cross to bear!

      Delete
  3. I posted about juicing today too! I recently bought one and I'm addicted to juicing EVERYTHING lol but I've haven't juiced ginger yet, I need to get on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your grapefruit juice recipe! Definitely need to try that out.

      Delete
  4. I've actually never added ginger to my juices/smoothies. Why?!! There are so many great benefits! Like you, I love juicing but I hate cleaning up afterward lol lazzzzyyyyy. I need to suck it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know meeeee too so super lazy it's ridiculous, especially since juicers are so easy to clean!

      Delete
  5. I love anything with ginger!!! Like for real, I snack on pickled ginger! If only I had a juicer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh you're one of THOSE :) Haha I'm trying to like it more...we'll see if these shooters help!

      Delete
  6. You mean ginger isn't just for gnawing on with your sushi?! =D Thanks for all of the info, lady! I learned so many new things today, and it's not even 8am!

    Again, lol'ing at the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess not! I don't even like it with sushi...I'm weird :( Haha yeah my hair is kind of terrifying!!

      Delete
  7. I love ginger! Like you pointed out, there are so many benefits to it. How do you find your juicer? I want one but am afraid I won't use it because I can't deal with the prep and clean up hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love my juicer...I got it on Amazon...I really recommend it. It's pretty cheap for a juicer but is so great. The clean up really isn't that bad I'm just l-a-z-y!

      Delete
  8. I really need to try ginger! And my hair gets out of control too don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes add it in your juice it's great! That's good...sometimes I feel like I'm a crazy person with these curls...my bf calls it my birds nest :)

      Delete
  9. What a refreshing beverage. This may sound ridiculous, but since I've never worked with ginger root before.. do you just throw it in as is? Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird at all...I googled it before I did it :) Yup just throw it in there as is!

      Delete
  10. thanks for sharing with us that awesome article paige by the way i have an arabic article about ginger check it here and thanks in advince
    sarah felix

    فوائد الزنجبيل

    ReplyDelete