1/16/14

Friday Favorites + No Alcohol January Update

Happy Friday ya'll! As always I'm just counting the minutes until I can come home...and this weekend is even better because, hello, 3 day weekend!!! The schedule of a teacher cannot be beaten, truly.

A few things for this beautiful Friday! I'll start with linking up with lovely Heather for my Friday Favorites, and then I want to update you on my commitment I made here to making one change each month, starting with no drinking in January.

First, this face. OMG this face. I just can't. Try to resist these puppy dog eyes, my people. I dare you.



Trying to learn more about my camera by using the different timers and not knowing what to do while it's taking a picture....this is me. I'm not ashamed.


Expanding my comfort zone in yoga! Kim and Erin both posted pictures of them in grasshopper pose, and it really motivated me to give it a try again. The last time I tried this was before I hurt my leg back in November because, well, I hate this pose. It's very hard for me to get that hip twist; my hips are always super tight. But! They inspired me to try it and honestly I couldn't believe I could even get off the ground in it. So happy!


Getting back into regular HIIT workouts and checking in with #ffcheckin on Instagram has been a blast!


Handstands...I am steadily getting more and more balance and I'm absolutely loving it. I held this yesterday for about 20 seconds and couldn't believe it.


This picture on Instagram really resonated with me :)


I have been eating this protein shake all week and can't get enough! Mint and chocolate for the win. Always.


Steven came home last night with this for me...what girl doesn't love getting a surprise rose?! I'll take it. And him :)


And finally some good eats I've had this week....including this ginormous protein pancake I took for lunch at work today, and the bottom concoction....Ezekiel toast with avocado, lemon olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and buffalo hummus on top!




OK booze! I made a commitment to take a step back from drinking this month and I couldn't be happier. Last semester I was kind of a mess...I had gotten used to not drinking and then all of a sudden I found awesome girlfriends and wanted to drink every weekend and honestly it was really dumb of me. I feel so much healthier, fresher, and happier not drinking. The last night I drank was Dec 28th so it's been about 3 weeks for me now. I don't need alcohol to be happy. It definitely doesn't make me healthy, doesn't make me feel good, and is a money waster. I have SOOOO many other things that make me feel wonderful and I don't need alcohol to get those feelings so basically, I'm very happy with this choice and see it carrying into much later than just one month. I'm too old for this shit, you know? I don't think it's realistic to say I will never have a drink again (don't think I could give up cupcake wine for life) but my relationship with alcohol is changing drastically and for the better.
Housewife Glamour

Any good plans this weekend? What drink could you never completely give up?

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo for 3 day weekends! I am hoping to go hiking this weekend (sunny weather here in Vancouver).

    I haven't drank in months! I stopped initially because of all my digestive problems and can honestly say I don't miss it. Though it does lead to some at-times awkward social moments but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for hiking I'm going on Monday! Sounds lovely. Yes I am feeling so much better as well....glad you have had a positive experience.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh you're doing a 12 month challenge? I'm thinking about starting one next month. How did I miss this??? Either way--I think it's a great idea. I'm also glad to hear your no alcohol is going swell :) I could never give up.....beer. That's embarrassing right? It's my drink of choice. But like good beer. Also--YAY GRASSHOPPER :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I'm very excited for all of the changes coming! Not embarrassing at all everyone has that one drink they love...if I had to go the rest of my life without ever tasting rum again I think I'd die haha!

      Delete
  3. I think that pose of you jumping is so cool! Good for you for not drinking for a whole month. My relationship with alcohol had changed so much over the past few years. I drink much more to enjoy nice wine and less in excess. But I'm giving up alcohol this month too and it's so much easier! I feel so much better! Happy 3 day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Yes I agree....I feel a change inside and out!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your alcohol progress :) I am insanely jealous of the grasshopper pose - my handstand is nowhere near yours, but I am slowly improving (~8-10 seconds) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels great. And consistent practice will get you there! When I started last September i couldn't hold a handstand period. I work on them every day!

      Delete