11/21/13

Healthy Lasagna Recipe

Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday! I do realize things could be so much worse but I'm obviously still upset that I will be inactive for awhile. Life goes on though. Hopefully in a couple of months this will all be something I can laugh at for thinking I can do the splits :)


Last week, Steven demanded I make a lasagna. The man loves lasagna. Actually, the man loves anything Italian, whereas I'm not a big pasta lover. However, my mom's lasagna gets me every time. She makes a pretty healthy version that still tastes delicious! Just to clarify....this isn't a clean recipe, but definitely healthified!

















Healthy Lasagna

by Paige Podbelsek
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
Keywords: entree Italian
Ingredients (12-15 servings)
  • 1 pack whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • 1 container low fat cottage cheese
  • 2-3 jars marinara sauce (I usually use Whole Foods 365 brand, or Prego sugar-free)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup skim mozarella cheese
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 container sliced mushrooms
  • Italian seasoning
  • 1 garlic clove
  • Salt and pepper
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375. In skillet on stove cook ground turkey in Italian seasoning and 1 tsp olive oil. While turkey is cooking, in mixing bowl combine one egg, container of cottage cheese, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
As turkey meat is finishing cooking, add mushrooms on skillet and cook for about 2 minutes.
Spray the bottom of a baking dish. Line bottom of pan with noodles. Cover noodles with cheese mixture, then meat mixture, and top with sauce. Repeat this layering technique of noodles, cheese, meat, sauce. Layer the top with noodles, sauce, and a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
Cook for 50-60 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbling.
Powered by Recipage

_______________________________________________________________________________

Lasagna has always been a comfort food for me, so it's nice to have a mother that will make it healthier so I'm comforted but not feeling greasy, full, and gross :)

After school today I'm thinking I'm going to do an upper body workout and some core work. Wish me luck! 

What's your favorite comfort food?


7 comments:

  1. Are we twins today or what?! Check out my blog lol

    -Elise @ 9toFit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your workout! I love pasta personally! I am not the biggest fan of lasgna though, I think because of the ricotta. I bet I would enjoy your version with cottage cheese instead of ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah lasagna is the only pasta I truly like :) I like the cottage cheese over the ricotta as well...not as rich!

      Delete
  3. Life does go on and especially with recipes like these!!! One awesome upside of injury? More time for recipe creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paige,
    We’ve recently launched the website Mytaste.com. It’s a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. Mytaste.com is part of the world’s second largest family of recipe sites, with sites in 37 countries and hundreds of thousands of visitors every week. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://mytaste.com or send us an email on info@mytaste.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    Site Manager

    ReplyDelete