10/30/13

WIAW #15 and a Morning Smoothie Recipe

Ahhh the middle of the week....so close to Friday! It's time for another edition of What I Ate Wednesday, hosted by Jenn!


Technically I don't have spooky snacks or healthy treats but I wanted to use the Halloween button at least once :) Today's WIAW is a recap of what I ate on my staycation this weekend, and let me tell you, it was INCREDIBLE.


Drinks. Many, many drinks. The first one of the day was a blackberry mojito!! Uhhhh yummmmmm.


Guacamole and chips...a staple in Tucson.


A Chipotle chicken salad! The dressing was to die for!!


More drinks! Mine is the sunset mojito on the left....can't go wrong with prickly pear puree.


And one more beautiful drink :) Mango chile!! Spicy but so good. I don't normally like tequila but this drink was perfect.


For dinner we shared a few appetizers, including sonoran dog sliders and mahi mahi tacos with an orange vinaigrette. 


For dessert I got a min trio sample plate and I honestly don't even remember what all of these were but I DO remember that they were super delicious! The middle is an apple empenada, and the left is some kind of vanilla, caramel and chocolate pudding/mousse. 


Breakfast the next morning was probably my favorite part. I got an egg white chicken omelet with tomato and avacado on the side and wheat toast. I also got a rejuvenating juice with prickly pear (duh), coconut water, ginger, and a few other yum ingredients.

I had such a blast this weekend and I NEED all of that food back in my belly again asap!



I have been having this smoothie for my second meal at about 8 am every day during my prep period. It is very simple and quick, but is packed with nutrients and tastes so good!

Morning Smoothie
1 large handful spinach
Frozen strawberries
1 banana
1 tbsp flaxseed
Chia seeds
1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
Almond milk (vanilla or chocolate)

Simple, to the point, delicious and transportable. The perfect M2!

Today I am thankful for my resolve. Monday and Tuesday were both stressful to the max. I have a TON to do for the 8th grade DC trip in May and I'm soooooooo behind on grading that it's embarrassing. I also have standards to cover, observations to be done, and a lot more. I'm just STRESSED. Didn't want to work out either days, but part of being committed to being healthy is getting up and doing it even when you don't want to. Monday I had a FANTASTIC yoga day...worked tons of inversions and was hitting everything. Yesterday, not so much :( I couldn't hold any handstands or forearm stands for the life of me. I took Rodney on a walk but only for a mile, and then did 20 minutes of yoga practice on Yogaglo when I was supposed to do 30. I also worked by myself but like I said, I couldn't hold anything for the life of me. I was so tired and frustrated that I just sat down and closed my eyes to chill for a minute. When I started Yogaglo, Kathryn, the instructor of the practice I was doing, said "Thank you for showing up to the mat. Make this practice your own. Don't push too far and be thankful you came." It was like she was talking right to me. I didn't have a great workout day, I didn't feel flexible or balanced or strong. I was tired and weak and frustrated. But at least I did it. Twenty minutes isn't my longest, but at least I showed up. So today I am thankful for my resolve. I have come a long way since I first started working out. I know I don't have to work out 6 days a week to be a good person or to be healthy and fit. I didn't have much in me today but I gave what I did have and for that I am thankful.


Side crow variation


Double stag handstand!!

What are you thankful for today? How do you get rid of frustration when your workout is going well?

5 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of all the amazing drinks and food you posted! Making me hungry just looking at it

    -Elise @ 9toFit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chipotle chicken salad looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yoga practice is so amazing! I am always in awe of your poses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of all your poses! :D And that smoothie looks amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salad looks amazing!
    Reading your blog makes me want to try yoga!

    ReplyDelete