10/3/13

My Love Affair With Spaghetti Squash

Pumpkin isn't the only fall food item that I quickly become obsessed with once the temperature stops dropping, if you can believe that for a second. Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite foods to make! There are so many different ways you can eat spaghetti squash. My favorite is probably eating it like spaghetti!!



Spaghetti (squash)
1 squash, cooked in oven for 50 minutes at 400 degrees
1.5 cups 365 Whole Foods marinara sauce
1 lb ground turkey
Italian seasoning, onion seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper

This dinner is so simple, easy and healthy! I can't get enough of it. I can it spaghetti squash like this for days on end :) This fall food used to really intimidate me because at first I had no idea what to do with it. Squash and I sat at the kitchen table and just stared at each other for awhile. How do I cook it? If I can figure out how to cook it what do I do with it? How do I get all the seeds out? Luckily I found this page on Pinterest that explained this beautiful food to me!

There are some other ways I enjoy eating it as well, although I will admit this is my go-to. Here are some great recipes of other bloggers' spaghetti squash ideas!

-Try this pasta alla formiana by Undressed Skeleton! Instead of noodles she uses spaghetti squash.
-This baked spaghetti squash is the perfect single dinner. I have made it a few times in the past and instead of using ramekins I used a regular glass baking dish to make more at one time.
-Spaghetti squash shrimp uses this vegetable for a lighter alternative to regular pasta.
-Spaghetti squash alfredo....I'm sorry do I really need to say more? Anything "alfredo" is a winner in my book.
-This spaghetti squash casserole is not only delicious but really easy to make!

These are just a few options that are delicious and healthy! There are tons of spaghetti squash recipes floating around the Internet. 

#fallinlovewithyoga day 2= a pose you like to show or teach

I haven't really taught anything yet but I love wheel variations! I feel so strong and sturdy in them and feel comfortable showing them. I definitely think this goes back to my gymnastics background again.


Today I am thankful for Tucson, AZ. I so love this place that I live! The weather is fantastic and the scenery couldn't get any better. I am thankful that I had the courage to leave Illinois to go on this adventure with Steven. I have done SO many things here that I never would have had the opportunity to do back home (can we say Lake Powell houseboat??) My family wasn't thrilled about me moving out here, which I  completely understand, but honestly it has been the best decision I've made so far in my 25 years. I've also been exposed to cultures and people that I've never been around before, for better and for worse. Living here has opened my eyes to a lot of different things that I wasn't aware of before. Tucson has changed me for the better :)

Do you like spaghetti squash? How do you prefer to make it?
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. The two ways that we eat spaghetti squash around my house are, 1) with butter, salt, and pepper, and 2) as a healthy noodle replacement under a mound of rich, meaty spaghetti sauce. In fact, we've got some ground bison and spaghetti squash right that will meet their fate this coming weekend.

    Noel Jensen, L.Ac.
    www.nutrition-clinic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am not the hugest fan of spaghetti squash only because when I first heard of it I was expecting it to be like spaghetti and it's really not like spaghetti. It is it's own dish. Although I did recently see a spaghetti squash recipe that looks really good and I would be willing to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I totally get you! I think one reason I like it so much is because I am a huge fan of pasta sauces and meats, but I don't really like the texture of pasta itself, so spaghetti squash is perfect!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Paige, visiting from First Friday Hop. Like you I am mad about spaghetti squash. I have been replacing pasta with it. Being Italian it is REALLY difficult to cut the carbs out, so with this wonderful squash I have my comfort food without the insulin spikes of pasta. Great post.
    Barbara @ www.allmylivesnow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow I bet!! This is the perfect substitution then! Thanks :)

      Delete