10/8/13

Healthified Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Hello party people! Tuesday is here! Normally this isn't that exciting but since I'm going to Vegas Thursday and Friday my week is short...so today is kind of like my Thursday I guess :)

Vegas wouldn't be my number one vacation spot but Steven has a wheelchair rugby tournament there so I'm super excited! I've gone to this tournament the last two years and it's always pretty fun. Plus I'm just a super proud girlfriend watching my boyfriend kick ass and knocking people over out on the court.

A couple of weeks ago I made a bunch of pumpkin muffins and cookies for Steven to take to work. I had come across this Betty Crocker cookie mix and figured I could healthify them and no one would know any better!

The reason that these are "healthified" and not just straight up healthy is because I made some substitutions to make them better for you, but by using the cookie mix there were still ingredients in there that I wouldn't normally use. However, just as I suspected, no one knew any better and they tasted delicious!



Healthified Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix (or any cookie mix)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup applesauce



All I did was mix the yogurt, applesauce, and mix together and then followed the rest of the directions on the mix package. By cutting out the butter, oil, and eggs these cookies were about half the sugar, calories and fat that they would have been, with some added protein from the Greek yogurt and a little sweetness from the applesauce. They still cooked up perfectly and tasted fantastic! This would be a great way to make cookies as you are introducing clean and healthier eating into your  household, because instead of being bombarded by cookies made of just oats and bananas you are easing yourself and your family into making healthier swaps in your baking. It's a win win for everyone!



Day 7 of #fallinlovewithyoga was to tell a story. I told my obsession for forearm stands! Ever since seeing a pin on Pinterest I have wished I could do forearms stands. Today I finally sucked up my fear and just kicked up against the wall! I was able to balance off the wall for about 7 seconds. I am so incredibly excited and ready to keep practicing! Ultimate goal? Hollowback stag leg and scorpion. I'm reaching high here people!




I also practiced handstands and headstands today and was pretty pleased. This is my second day practicing these two and my first for forearm stands so I was very happy with what I was able to do. Practice makes perfect! 

What did you do today to stay active? After school my two friends came over and we did this HIIT routine (one of my favorites!) I was dripping sweat. Working out is so much more fun with friends! After they left I did my inversion practice and now I'm wiped out. 

Have a great one kiddos! And remember....


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Those healthified cookies look amazing! Greek yogurt and applesauce are wonderful for substitutions are they not!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great substitutions! I love all your foodie tips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a good idea! Before I went gluten free I used to make pumpkin spice muffins using a cake mix and then a can of pumpkin. Seriously, it makes amazingly moist, much lower calorie muffins. You can add in raisins, dried cranberries and walnuts or pecans to make it a heartier muffin... or just add chocolate chips for a sweet treat! :)

    ReplyDelete