OK! Home from the gym and ready for the weekend to begin! Tomorrow morning I'm headed to Phoenix to meet the TIU girls for my first spin class ever and I'm super excited! Then tomorrow night is date night with the boyfriend. Should be fun.
I finally got to make this awesome salad for dinner! The bbq sauce is amazing...sweet and tangy from the addition of strawberries and maple syrup.
Strawberry BBQ Sauce
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves/jam (I only had raspberry so that's what I used and it turned out perfect!)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Place the strawberries in a single layer on a baking pan lined with foil folded up on the sides to capture the juices and roast in a preheated 425F oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
- Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, mix in the cilantro and puree in a food processor or blender.
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Salad
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup avocado
- 1/4 cup feta (or goat)cheese
- 2 strips turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted strawberry BBQ sauce
- 1 medium chicken tenderloin (I cooked on the stovetop in garlic and honey)
- **This serving size makes enough for about 3 medium sized salads)
This salad is so light and perfect for summer! The mixture of sweet and tangy ingredients is delicious.
What's your favorite summer recipe or salad? Any big plans for the weekend?