7/23/13

7 Healthy Salad Dressing Recipes

Happy Tuesday :) The week is in full swing! Hopefully you all survived any "case of the Mondays" you might have had and are ready to dive into the rest of the week.

Today's agenda: Salads! Well, more so salad dressings. Arguably the best part of salads, sometimes.

I've never really been a salad person until the last year. I didn't like salads at all, and I would only eat them if they were doused in dressing. I'm a condiment person, what can I say? I love sauces and dressings. That all changed about a year ago. When I decided to start eating clean I knew I needed to fit salads into my diet, and I knew that I was going to have to either find some healthier dressing substitutions or forgo dressings all together. 

Over the course of the last year I have started using less and less dressing on salads. I eat salads at least a couple of times a week...they are a staple in my routine. When work is in session I bring a salad every day! They are so light, refreshing and rejuvenating. Right now I almost always use a super simple combination of olive oil, lemon/lime juice, and a little salt and pepper. However, it took awhile to get to the point where I could just enjoy the veggies and fruits in salads and appreciate the natural taste. Up until that point I experimented with many, many different dressings! I have had a request for some of my favorite dressing options, so I went through my phone, Instagram, and Pinterest and picked out the dressings I have used the most in the last year. These are all based off of clean, healthy ingredients and are meant to enhance your salads, not drown them :)

Disclaimer: I am NOT a measurer. I kind of hate measuring stuff out. I'll do it if I have to for a new recipe, but for dressings, I mostly just wing it, whisk, and taste test. Some of these have specific measurements, so feel free to use. Otherwise just use your smarts and figure out what tastes best to you.

Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

In blender combine: 2 handfuls of blueberries, 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, one or two squeezes of dijon mustard, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp basil, and 3-4 tbsp olive oil



Thai Peanut Dressing
-1 spoonful PB
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 sprinkle brown sugar
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 shake sesame seeds
-1 shake ginger
-1 shake garlic powder
-1 shake onion powder
-1 tbsp honey
-1 tbsp Stevia
-Juice of 1 small lime
**Side note: this is GREAT on an Asian inspired salad with chow mein noodles, mandarin oranges, sunflower seeds and spinach

Asian Soy Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup White Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 Tbs. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Organic Brown Sugar (you can use two packets of stevia instead for a lower calorie dressing)

Balsamic Citrus Dressing
Great with chicken and avocado salads!
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
1/4 Fresh Lemon, squeezed
1/2 Fresh Lime, squeezed
1 tsp. Sea Salt

Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
***This is delicious on salads with fruit toppings
White Rice Vinegar
Olive Oil
Plain Greek Yogurt
Honey
1 Fresh Lemon, squeezed
Poppy Seeds
Sea Salt
Pinch or two of Stevia

Everything Dressing
Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Honey
Dijon mustard
Soy sauce
Poppy & sesame seeds
Seasoned salt
Pepper
Onion
Garlic



Honey Mustard Dressing
Olive Oil, apple Cider Vinegar, honey , dijon mustard, garlic powder

Strawberry Balsamic Vinargrette
1/2 pint fresh strawberries, halved
1 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon honey

Blend in mixer
Caesar Salad Dressing
1 cup nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise (or veganaisse)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

I hope you enjoy these and try a couple out! They are all light and delicious; perfect staples in a clean and healthy diet. Do you have any healthy dressings you use? Please feel free to share below :)

Yesterday consisted of a little cuddling with my weiner baby :) I wasn't feeling so hot but napping with Rodney always makes me feel better! Thanks to Steven for taking the picture....just adorable.

Also wore my new Blogilates top to the gym! Cute open back. Have a fantastic Tuesday! Only a few days left until the weekend...


No comments:

Post a Comment