7/8/13

Brownie Time!


I finally decided to try all of the black bean brownie recipes I've been seeing online for the last year or so! I HATE beans...like seriously hate. Any kind except chickpeas, and I don't really love those that much either. The thought of putting beans into brownies is freaky, but I keep seeing recipe after recipe and figured if so many people made it work, I should probably give it a try.

This recipe was sort of an enigma. I followed the directions, even though I thought it was strange that there was no sweetener in the recipe at all. I thought maybe between the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder it would be OK? I was wrong. I tried to salvage them and I did- some of them! 

I poured the batter into the loaf pan and licked the spoon when I was done with it, just to see how it tasted. Um EW. Bitter! But definitely fudgey. So I went and grabbed the Truvia and kind of just dumped it into the batter, got a new spoon and tried to mix it in as best I could. I knew when I stuck them in the oven they probably weren't going to turn out that great.

So! Timer goes off and I pull them out. I cut a corner off and tried it and it was way too bitter for me. I was pretty irritated so I just dumped them on a plate to assess the damage...hence the horrible picture below. 

However, I tried one of the middle brownies and aha! Deliciousness! Soft, gooey, chocolatey, and sweet! I guess the Truvia didn't get mixed in very well and mainly made it into the middle brownies.

My suggestions: DEFINITELY try this recipe. Delicious, healthy brownies are always a good thing. However, add some sort of sweetener. I plan on trying this recipe again this week. I'm going to add 1/4 cup Truvia and 1/4 cup agave nectar WHILE I'm making the batter, not after, and I think that should solve the issues!! The altered recipe is below. Happy baking :)

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
makes 8 browines
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for the top
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Sweetener- 1/4 cup Truvia (or white sugar), or 1/2 cup agave nectar, or mixture of the two
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. 
Pour black beans and melted chocolate into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse a few more times to make sure everything is completely incorporated.
Pour into prepared pan and smooth to level and fill corners, etc. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 25 minutes until the top has cracked slightly and the center has set. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting into 2″ squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment