7/18/13

Benefits of Wheatgrass and Weekly Updates

Well the last few days have been kind of uneventful. Just putting around the house, going to the gym, and basically taking care of the few last things I have to do before I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

This song came on the radio on my way to the gym Wednesday....I've never had better motivation. Seriously this song took me back to 8th grade and pumped me up. Who doesn't love a little Sisquo??


OK so wheat grass! Has anyone had a wheatgrass shot before? I keep reading really great stuff online, and I decided it was time to incorporate this into my diet. Here's why! 

  • 30mls of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice (a wheatgrass shot!) is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green vegetables
  • Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
  • It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
  • Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
  • Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
  • Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation in the body, you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
  • It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein making this one of the most powerful wheatgrass benefits
(I got this info from Skinny Minnie, who got the info from this source)










One of the things that intrigued me the most was the "veggie serving" concept. It's not easy for me to get all of my vegetable servings in every day. I kind of like vegetables. Not all of them. And they get kind of boring. I love green juices so that definitely helps get all of my veggie nutrients but it seems adding the wheatgrass has many benefits, including helping out my veggie count each day.

I ordered a container from Amazon, but a couple days before it came in I was in Whole Foods and saw the individual packets so I picked a couple up. The first night I tried it I put it in about 12 oz of water. The packet suggested one packet+8-16 oz water. That was not enough water. It didn't dissolve all the way. When I drank the watered part it was fine, pretty tasteless so whatever. But when I got to the bottom and there was just chunks of the powder sitting there it was pretty gross. Yesterday I put it in my green juice and did about half a scoop. It was pretty much tasteless again but there was still residue at the bottom. I'm going to try it again tonight but try to mix it a little better.

It's kind of appearing that the best way to mix it up may be a green smoothie instead of a juice. Really get it mixed into the other stuff. We'll see! I'll keep you updated on any changes that I may or may not see from taking it.

Here are just a few other bits from this week so far! 



Rodney just hangin out with my morning mocha cappuccino...


"Stop taking pictures of me...I'm trying to nap you  psycho..."


"I'm just going to hang out here with my lip stuck on my tooth."

Sorry Rodney's basically my best friend right now....we spend every day together :)


TEN DOLLAR dress I got from Marshall's....but I'm not excited about it because it was so cheap, I'm excited about it because something amazing happened with this dress. I. Don't. Need. It. Hemmed. It's the PERFECT length. I have absolutely no idea how this happened...someone obviously messed up when making this but it's the best thing that's happened to me EVER! I can't remember the last time I bought a "bottom" piece that didn't need hemmed! (I wore this to run errands today and wanted to take advantage of the amazing Victoria's Secret dressing room mirrors....seriously I need a mirror like this at my house.)



Ran errands all day today. I packed my bag for the gym and realized on my way that I forgot to pack a top. Instead of driving back home 40 mins then another 20 back to the gym I just hopped into F21 while I was at the mall and grabbed this top for $5.80!! The fishtails in the back are a little strange but I think it's because they're so long on me...typical. Anyway the loose, sheer material was perfect for my workout and I had 3 girls ask me where I got it! Seriously I need a bigger mirror.


Since I was gone all day I had to pack a few things to get me through...half a sweet potato, Quest bar (tryyyy these! So good!), and protein powder ready to have water added on my way to the gym. The atomic green liquid in that water bottle is my C4 preworkout in Green Apple...honestly tastes EXACTLY like a Jolly Rancher. So delicious.



At Whole Foods the other day I picked up a couple jars of that AMAZING marinara sauce I talked about in this post. Best decision ever! I also picked up a couple Vega One packets. I keep hearing about how great these are so I'm going to give them a shot this week. I'll let you know my review once I try one!

On a nice note, I went to the doctor today and she asked me about my eating and exercise habits as part of my check up. I told her I work out 5 days a week and also told her about my whole foods diet. She was extremely impressed and told me I was in pretty much perfect health! Always nice to hear. Here's to Thursday and to living a long, healthy life!!

Tomorrow's recipe: Strawberry BBQ Chicken Salad! I've been drooling over this recipe for weeks now so I'm going to try it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Super cute dress and I LOVE the Vega vanilla chai - yummo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm obsessed with that dress...and I accidentally grabbed the vanilla chai and was really upset because I never like those types of flavors.....went ahead and tried it today with a banana and almond milk and it was AMAZING!!

      Delete