6/15/13

Homemade Almond Butter

Good morning and happy Saturday!!! It's only 10 am and already in the 90's here in Tucson :) I love it here so much....and I do love the heat but sometimes it's almost too much! Anyway I did get around to making my almond butter yesterday! I think it turned out pretty well. I plan on trying it again in the near future and tweaking some things but all in all I am satisfied with the results.


OK so ingredients: Almonds! That's all I used. The next time I try it I think I'm going to use a little coconut oil and vanilla to attempt to recreate Justin's vanilla almond butter, but all you really NEED is almonds. Since I just bought that jar of almond butter I only did 1 cup of almonds just to try it out and see if it would really work.

I tried to take "stages" pictures so that you could see the breakdown and how everything looks while you're making the almond butter. I used my Ninja blender and it took me about 15 minutes. I think a regular food processor would probably work better...my Ninja isn't built to stay on for long periods of time, and it definitely reacted accordingly....it overheated so I kept having to stop and let it rest but ultimately it did what it needed to do! Also from everything I looked up online it appears that 15 ish minutes is a pretty normal time.






So for the first half the crumbs were basically breaking down, and then eventually the oils in the almonds started to release and it began to get creamier and smoother. Every two minutes or so I had to take the top off and scrape the sides down with a spatula.

The next time I try this I will also have to use more than one cup. I think that is one of the reasons my blender kept overheating....once it began to get creamy it continuously pushed itself on the side of the blender and there wasn't enough actual product to be blended so it was whirring with nothing there (hopefully that made some sort of sense). 

Anyway, that's basically it! Put your almonds in your blender and make sure you have enough time and patience to blend it. Some possible add ins are: coconut butter/oil, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, etc. An FYI: if you put in other things, it will reduce the shelf life considerably, especially adding coconut oil or butter or any add in like that. 


This isn't the prettiest picture but my cup of almonds didn't quite fill up my mason jar. Just wanted to give a visual for the creaminess of the butter and also so that you can see 1 cup of almonds didn't quite make 1 cup of almond butter. I'd say it was about 3/4 cup.


It was delicious though! I've been eating it on Ezekiel bread.


My meal 2 today was Ezekiel bread/almond butter, 1 cup egg whites, and my favorite Mocha Cappuccino Smoothie :) Yes I'm drinking that out of a beer mug...Steven keeps buying these glasses at breweries and they hold more liquid than our regular glasses. I also am a big fan of having handles on glasses...I'm pretty accident prone and have definitely broken a few dishes in my time from dropping them so the handles are kind of idiot proof.


I let Rodney out this morning to go to the bathroom....he usually goes and darts right back inside. He didn't come back in so I started to wonder what he was up to....I snuck out and caught him patrolling the back yard. I think he saw a bunny rabbit dart in the desert by our house. He goes crazy when he sees those things.


"It's OK Mom, I've got this."

For my Body Earned pals...did W5D2 yesterday and my body is SO. SORE. Everything hurts...but it hurts so good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment