6/17/13

Healthy Reese's Cups

Today was healthy dessert tester day! I had pinned a few recipes awhile ago that I have been waiting to try out and today felt like the day. 

Reese's PB Cups! Yum!! Recipe from Fit Foodie Finds.

Bottom Layer:
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (all-natural)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 8 drops of liquid stevia (or to taste)
Top Layer:
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: unsweetened coconut
Method
Line a mini muffin tray with cupcake lines. Stir all ingredients for the bottom layer together until smooth ( you may have to melt the coconut oil and peanut butter for 20 seconds to get them to mix well) and divide between the wells. Put the tray in the freezer on a flat surface and freeze until solid. Meanwhile, stir all ingredients together for the top layer until smooth and divide on top of the set chocolate mixture. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid. Store the treats in the freezer.


My poor melted coconut oil!!! Still usable though thank goodness. That stuff isn't cheap!




Going to get a new muffin tin tomorrow, don't worry...the pan is clean but too old :(




OK a few things about these. Are they delicious? YES. Can you taste the coconut......yes. Lee says on her blog the main tastes are still the PB and chocolate, which is definitely true. However, they are more coconut-y than I would have liked. I don't particularly care for coconut but I have become somewhat more accustomed to it since I started using coconut oil while cooking instead of olive oil. Anyway, these taste great but if you don't care for the taste of coconut they might not be your thing. Also if anyone has a different recipe that doesn't use coconut oil let me know!

The second thing that was strange is I definitely did not get 12 cups out of this recipe. I got 7 and mine are MUCH thinner than the original blogger. I'm not sure exactly how this happened but it altered the nutritional macros and the recipe divided into 7 parts came out to 17 grams of fat per cup. Since the fat is from PB and coconut oil, it's healthy fats, so it's not like it's bad for you...but since I'm trying to count my macros I only eat  50 grams of fat a day. Most foods have some fat in them so that's not really a lot at all, and I can't really afford to use 17 grams a day on these unfortunately :( However, they are definitely a healthy, delicious alternative to regular Reese's Cups :)

******Update: I had the first cup 20 minutes after making them because I couldn't wait! Just had one more after being frozen for 5 hours and the coconut taste is almost completely gone! Sooooo yummy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment