So I finally got around to makin the lemon blueberry quinoa pancakes I found on Pinterest about a month ago! Final verdict: They were OK. I don't know that I'll make them again anytime soon, but I did eat all of mine over the course of 3 days.
Lemon Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, milk, and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and whisk again. Next gently fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter.
- Makes about 8 pancakes. Top with fruit preserves, peanut butter, or maple syrup.
I topped mine with almond butter and agave nectar, sat down to eat 2, and thought they were great! So delicious. Then Steven came home and burnt 5 pounds of chicken on the grill..literally the grill caught on fire. So I told him to just eat a couple of my pancakes for his dinner. He took a bite of one with no toppings and was disgusted. "Sorry but that's gross" was his response. I didn't believe him....I had just eaten 2 and they tasted great! He urged me to try one plain so I took a bite and...ew. All I could taste was the wheat taste of the quinoa. I guess the AB and agave brought out the sweetness of the lemon and blueberry because plain they were not appetizing. But hey as long as you have something to throw on them they're pretty good!
Side note: check out the pictures on the link I got the recipe from....someone please tell me how she got hers to look so fluffy and appetizing! Mine looked like what I would imagine quinoa pancakes to look like. Hers look like regular pancakes.....a mystery. I need to know.
Side side note: I really like a lot of the recipes on the Ambitious Kitchen blog. This week? Elvis chocolate, peanut butter, and banana cupcakes. I'm SUCH a sucker for anything PB/Banana/Choco!!!