3/13/13

Salad Beasts

So I eat salads a lot. Actually, every day. For lunch, usually. It's easy to make the night before and if I've made something for dinner and want to take leftovers for lunch, I usually take a half serving and still eat a side salad. I used to HATE salads...seriously. I like peppers, tomatoes, and those typical salad toppings but I kind of hate them actually in salads. Also, I've always been a huge condiment girl and would only eat salad if it was drenched in dressing. Thankfully, things have changed, because salads are sooo good for you!! And delicious :) I realized that there are a million different other things I could be putting on my salads that I acutally like (spoiler: AVACADO OH MY GOD) and also I've gotten to the point where I don't really even use dressing. I typically go with a drizzle of olive oil and half of a lemon squeezed on top. I've learned that the "dressing" should be a sideline, not the main show of the salad....lemon juice and olive oil really brings out the natural flavors of whatever I have on my salad.

The salad I made last night for dinner was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Definitely my favorite I've ever made and that's a LOT of salads. I got the idea from this post from the Fitnessista. She is an awesome blogger from Tucson, actually. She has amazing food ideas/recipes and the pictures of her year old daughter are adorable. Also it's funny when she puts up pictures from her day-to-day activities or weekend adventures, like the zoo or different restaurants and bars, because I'm usually like, hey I was just there last week!

Anyway she did a post yesterday on Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes. I took that and turned it into more of a salad and also dropped the beans because, well, I just don't like them.
First I had to marinate some chicken for my salads for the rest of the week. I went with a paprika lime marinade.

Paprika Lime Chicken

1 spoonful tomato sauce (or tomato paste)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
garlic powder (or real chopped garlic if you aren't too lazy like I was)
salt
pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
And I used 1 tsp table blend Mrs. Dash

I let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Then I grilled the chicken outside on the grill!
I had one cooked sweet potato from the night before. It had been sitting on our counter for a week, sad and lonely, so I threw it in the oven for 45 minutes with the spaghetti squash and figured I would use it sometime during the week.
Lettuce on top
Then I put the chicken on, salsa, feta cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt. Seriously, it was amazing. Delicious. I'll probably make it again for dinner tonight!

This lovely salad is from a few days ago and it was sooooooo so good as well. This is a pretty typical salad that I would take for work. This is actually what I have today in my lunchbox, except with chicken instead of shrimp.


Romaine and spinach mix
1/2 sliced avacado
1 cup shrimp cooked and seasoned on skillet
cranberries
handful of walnuts
sprinkle of chia seeds
feta cheese

Honey Mustard Dressing

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
sprinke of garlic powder (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment