3/8/13

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken, Healthy Fried Rice, and ChocolateProtein Bars

**I know this is a crock pot recipe but if you don't have one or don't have time, forget to start it, whatever, you could easily let the chicken marinate in this sauce for an hour or two in the refrigerator and then grill the chicken or bake it. I like the crock pot aspect because the chicken just soaks in the sauce for so long and it's so tender but it could definitely be altered to fit you.

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

Ingredients

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup organic honey
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp onion powder (or 1/4 cup chopped onion)
Dash of salt and pepper
8 chicken tenderloins




                                               Mix all ingredients except garlic and onion.

Put chicken on bottom of crock pot. Pour in marinade and top with chopped garlic and onion. Turn on crock pot. I set mine to high for 4 hours.

When there was about an hour left for the chicken I started the healthy fried rice. I used brown rice that boils in the bag. I boiled two bags on the stovetop for 10 minutes. I cut open the bags and put them in a skillet on the stove and added: 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, 3 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp sesame seed oil, 3 tbsp onion powder and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Next time I make it I think I will leave out the soy sauce in the rice....there was plenty of flavor from the chicken/marinade.



Cook everything on stove. The amount I had in the skillet was 4 servings worth so I added 3 eggs and scrambled them in with the rice.

                                                      Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!!

Every hour or so I would turn the chicken over so that both sides got cooked evenly, but that was because I used 8 pieces of chicken so they didn't sit evenly in the pot. If you use 4-6 you probably wouldn't need to do that.

When the chicken was done I pulled it apart with a fork and put it on top of the rice. I then put one spoonful of marinade on top. As you can see from the picture it ended up being a lot of marinade so I drained that excess off. This is by far my favorite recipe I have made in the crock pot so far. I have leftover peas and carrots and rice so I will probably make it again next week. SO good.

                    While all of that was cooking I made chocolate protein bars for the week!

Ingredients

2 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup egg whites
1 tsp baking soda
4-5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups oat flower
1/3 cup Stevia
12 oz berry applesauce (I have 8 oz pictured which is two little individual cups but I ended up using a third)

Mix dry ingredients first, then add in applesauce and egg whites. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

                      Protein Bars for the week. One serving for girls= 2 bars; for guys= 3 bars

My packed meals for the school day:
Meal 2= Chocolate protein bars and strawberries
Meal 3 (lunch)= healthy fried rice, honey sesame chicken, 1 cup sliced peppers and 1/4 cup spinach dip

I usually eat meal 4 when I get home around 3:00 pm and meal 5 is dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment