2/17/13

Benefits of Egg Whites

This morning I couldn't wait so I decided to sample the banana blueberry bread and YUM.

Even Rodney wanted a bite!

Along with the banana blueberry bread I had my standard egg whites and toppings.
Egg whites are super beneficial to your health and are a perfect breakfast in the morning: quick to make in the microwave and portable if need be. I know mine look kind of gross but that's just because while I like egg whites, I can't stomach them plain and need to add in as many additions as possible. This morning I had half a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, a small avocado (one of my favorite foods EVER), and a clean mango peach salsa from the grocery store. Looks kinda freaky, tastes pretty delicious.

Benefits of Egg Whites:

No Cholesterol- Egg yolks are full of cholesterol, but not the whites! An egg yolk has 213 mg of cholesterol, which is almost your entire recommended daily intake. Leave out the yolk and you are left with 0 mg of cholesterol.

Protein- Egg whites are one of the most pure forms of protein you can put in your body. For a person trying to gain muscle through exercise or trying to slim down, protein should be consumed in 4-5 of your 5 meals a day in some way. Egg whites are a great way to get in that protein early in the morning, and your body can start burning calories and building muscle from the get-go. A single egg white is 4g of protein and 0g of fat. To keep that fat count down at 0, cook your egg whites in EVOO spray, not oil or butter.

Low Calories- An egg, with yolk, is about 71 calories. Leave out the yolk and you are left with 16 calories in the egg white itself. 

If you feel you really have to have that yolk in your omlet/scrambled eggs, I would suggest using 1 yolk and 2-3 egg whites instead of 3 or 4 whole eggs. This will help you keep the cholesterol, fat, and calories pretty low while still having the yolk taste. 




No comments:

Post a Comment