2/24/13

Lemon Protein Bars

It's really difficult sometimes to get in 5 meals during the day when you're a teacher. I don't get lunch until 1 pm and I'm going going going from 7:30 am until lunch time....I barely sit down during the day! Protein bars are a really easy snack to eat quickly between classes or even sometimes while my kids are reading out loud and I get a couple minutes to breathe :) Most protein bars that you can buy in stores are packed with extra sugar, chemicals, and other additives that you might not want to be putting your body (I don't!). That's why I make my own. I make a batch of 14-16 (depending on how big I end up cutting the squares) on Sundays and put them in Ziploc baggies (one serving= 2 bars) in the fridge to last the week for my Meal 2 (usually around 9:30 am). I alternate between a couple of recipes but my favorite are the lemon protein bars.

If you've never heard of Jamie Eason, um, well, go Google her or something because you should know who she is! She is an incredible and inspiring fitness role model. She also has amazing recipes that she puts up on Bodybuilding.com. While you're there you can check out her 3 month fitness plan, LiveFit. It's a beautifully structured program for any body type or fitness level. I saw her recipe for lemon protein bars and, because I'm stubborn, wanted to change some of it to fit me better. Anyway this is the recipe I've been using for a few months now off and on and this is what has worked best. However, you can also find her original recipe here.


Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cups oat flour (I use Bob's Mill; bought on Amazon)
2.5 scoops Vanilla whey protein
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 egg whites
6 oz lemon juice (about 4 lemons- this can vary depending on how tart you want your bars)
1/3 cup Truvia
8 oz applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients together in bowl!



Combine wet ingredients in next. The lengthiest part of this recipe is squeezing the lemon juice. 6 oz of lemon juice was 4 medium sized lemons. If you want your bars less tart, I would suggest starting with 4 oz and tasting your batter and working from there. But ya know, I love lemon so I usually go with about 6. 

When you're finished mixing, the batter will probably look a little soupier than you might expect. That's fine. It will bake up just right!



Pour batter into 8x8 pan greased with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Test with toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean they should be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment