2/18/13

Banana-Egg Pancake Recipe

So I've seen the banana-egg pancake recipe floating around the Internet for awhile now and about 6 months ago I decided to try it. I've never been a huge pancake person (I much prefer french toast) but I do love breakfast foods and I figured anything made out of banana and egg whites I would dig. I was right!

The banana-egg pancake recipe is incredibly simple, cheap, and one of the most versatile recipes I've ever made. In short, it's pretty perfect! And it really does taste like a pancake. My boyfriend isn't into the eating clean thing like I am and won't eat some of the stuff I make because he feels like it's masquerading as something else (like zucchini lasagna....he would. not. touch. the zucchini lasagna!! In fact I think he was angry at the zucchini for being there at all. And the lack of pasta. Ok you get it.) Anyway he likes these pancakes so if it gets the Steven-Seal of Approval you basically know you can't go wrong.

So here's the deal: the recipe is literally this:

1 banana, mashed
3 egg whites

That's it! So simple and so much room for versatility. If you literally have nothing in your house to throw in it, these two things will make the pancake. However, there are a few things that I always add to it to spice it up a little bit. My basic, go-to recipe is this:

1 mashed banana
2 egg whites
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 scoop protein powder (I use Perfect Fit)

From here I try to mix it up and add many different things. Usually a handful of blueberries, some sliced strawberries, dark chocolate chips, raisins, and basically any fruit will work. You could also add 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and a little Stevia to make it a chocolate pancake.

OK now for toppings! I am partial to a drizzle of agave nectar and one squeeze of honey. A little bit of pure maple syrup would work as well. Check your nutrition labels...anything with too much sugar (most processed maple syrups) are probably not the best choice. A swipe of natural or organic peanut butter is always good, or PB2.

If anyone has any other variations I would love to hear them! I am a creature of habit and once I find something I like I pretty much stick to it, but any add-ins you have to suggest would be great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment